Court Marriage Procedure and List of All Documents Required.
Court marriages in India are solemnized as per the ‘Special Marriage Act, 1954’ and the procedure is common across the nation.
Court Marriage Process/Procedure in Chandigarh is not the complicated procedure but at the same time, it is if a person does not have the proper knowledge. There are certian requirement and documents without which marriage cannot be solemnized and registered.
Court Marriages are performed under the Special Marriage Act, 1954, which takes place under the administration of a Marriage Registrar and witnesses along with all the required valid documents. Court marriage can be solemnised between two parties (belonging to the same or different nations) irrespective of their caste, religion or race. The interested parties can directly apply to the Marriage Registrar in order to get marriage certificate.
- Notice of Intended Marriage in the specified format is to be filed before the Marriage Registrar of the District in which any of the parties to the marriage has resided for the period of not less than 30 days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given.
- Marriage Registar invites objections from the public by publishing the notice by giving 30 days time. If any person puts an objection on this notice within the publishing time of 30 days, then as per section 7 of the Special Marriage Act, the marriage registrar is required to investigate the matter. The marriage can be stopped if a marriage officer notices any valid reason for this marriage. The marriage process with proceeding the same intensity if no objection is made. If the marriage officer sustains the objection, both the parties can file an appeal against the registrar’s order.
- After the expiration of above said 30 days, the marriage may be solemnized at the specified marriage office.
- Both parties along with three witnesses are required to be present on the date of registration/solemnization.
What Documents are required for Court Marriage in Chandigarh?
- Application form along with requisite Fee.
- Photographs of Bride & Groom (Passport Size)
- Residence proof of both the parties
- Proofs for Date of Birth (Birth Certificate/ Matriculation Certificate/ Passport/ Adhar Card etc.)
- Affidavits from both the parties to the marriage giving date of birth, present marital status.
- Affirmation that both the parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship.
- Copy of Divorce decree/order in case of divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
Documents from the Witness
- Passport Size Photo
- PAN Card
- Id of the witnesses
Documents required in case of foreign national:
- A copy of passport and visa
- A certificate of NOC or marital status certificate from the concerned embassy
- One of the parties should produce documentary evidence regarding stay in India for 30 or more days (proof of residence or report from the concerned SHO)
Connect with our Advocate in Chandigarh /Matrimonial Lawyer for your Marriage Registration/Court Marriage/Protection Order.